Sunday, January 3, 2010

Notes on Wisdom

This morning I asked my pastor to define "wisdom." He replied, "wisdom is knowning how to live skillfully. You get it by fearing the Lord." He continued, "now the key to fearing the Lord is seeing God as He is, and seeing myself as I am, and respecting that gap." I found his statement interesting. Introspection is an essential part of our attempt to follow Christ. (2 Corinthians 13:5 bids us to test and examine ourselves.) If I can get to a place where I can truly comprehend the differences between myself and God, it seems I would have no choice but to fear Him... whether I had a personal relationship with Him or not. My interest is officially piqued by this. Topical study is brewing... but for now, here are a few verses to ponder concerning wisdom.

Proverbs 1:7
7The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:20-22
20Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square; 21At the head of the noisy streets she cries out; At the entrance of the gates in the city she utters her sayings: 22"How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded? And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing And fools hate knowledge?

Proverbs 2:3-7
3For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding; 4If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God. 6For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,

Psalm 111:10
10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

James 1:5 and Matthew 7:7-8
5But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

7"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
8"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Let me know what Bible School you will be attending. Jeff

    ReplyDelete